We knew there were hardwood floors underneath, so it was just a matter of seeing what kind of condition they were in when we were finished.
Here is where we started - beige carpets.
Old beige carpets...this was a gallery wall that I was working on for this room a few months ago.
Here we go...I was so excited to get these gross old carpets outta here! While I was driving the girls out to my SIL's Steve made some great progress...
This particular photo below really got me itching to do more - new trim, new paint color, possibly painting or restaining the banisters....isn't it funny how one project leads to several more?
Overall the floors were in pretty good shape. There are some obvious fade marks from where a prior owner must have had an area rug, and there are a few other questionable spots but overall they're good.
After we got all of the staples up, we swept and used a wet/dry vac to get the rest of the dirt, dust, etc up. Then we wiped everything down and mopped the floors with Murphy's. I know I've been told that Murphy's is a no-no on wood floors but it works for us and we have a ton of it. (another project to note - the fireplace)
And here are a few photos of the "after" - enjoying the fruits of our labor.
So satisfying. And the best part...FREE. :) Now the wheels are spinning even more as I strive to get this main living space into a bit more order.
And the best part - actually putting my feet up and marveling in our shiny "new" floors. Sweat equity at its finest.