Thursday, April 23, 2015

Project Rip Up the Carpets

A little less than 2 years later and we finally got around to tearing up the carpets on our main floor and second floor landing of our split level home. My SIL took the girls for an overnight so that we were limited on interruptions to get the job done ;)

We knew there were hardwood floors underneath, so it was just a matter of seeing what kind of condition they were in when we were finished.

Here is where we started - beige carpets.


Old beige carpets...this was a gallery wall that I was working on for this room a few months ago.



Here we go...I was so excited to get these gross old carpets outta here! While I was driving the girls out to my SIL's Steve made some great progress...


This particular photo below really got me itching to do more - new trim, new paint color, possibly painting or restaining the banisters....isn't it funny how one project leads to several more?


Buh-bye beige carpets. Here are some of the trusty tools we used...my handyman also recommended a tack puller for getting the staples up but I didn't get a chance to pick one up.


Overall the floors were in pretty good shape. There are some obvious fade marks from where a prior owner must have had an area rug, and there are a few other questionable spots but overall they're good.

After we got all of the staples up, we swept and used a wet/dry vac to get the rest of the dirt, dust, etc up. Then we wiped everything down and mopped the floors with Murphy's. I know I've been told that Murphy's is a no-no on wood floors but it works for us and we have a ton of it. (another project to note - the fireplace)


And here are a few photos of the "after" - enjoying the fruits of our labor.



So satisfying. And the best part...FREE. :) Now the wheels are spinning even more as I strive to get this main living space into a bit more order. 


And the best part - actually putting my feet up and marveling in our shiny "new" floors. Sweat equity at its finest.



Monday, April 13, 2015

Living Room-Music Room Local Project

I feel like I haven't posted in forever and I have so much to catch you up on. I've been fortunate to pick up more local clients and have enjoyed a wide array of challenges with each project.

One of my local projects that I started on a few weeks ago was this Living Room/Music Room.


My clients enjoy hanging out in this room with coffee, listening to music (including playing this pretty piano that you see) and entertaining. They were not looking for a full redesign but rather a way to freshen things up a bit. They had recently purchased the two medallion print armchairs that you see here and a few of the other key pieces of furniture would stay but the rest of the room was ready for a makeover.


Have you taken note of the walls? They had a rag type texture application very popular in the early 90s and the colonial blue trim was also dating this room (I actually love a colonial blue in the right setting). Updating these walls would be HUGE.  Ready for this....


Look at the difference with just the walls and trim getting painted! I had gotten a text message from my client that she loved the color (whew!) but I was blown away when I got to see this in person. And just so you don't have to scroll up and down :)


The walls were painted BM Quiet Moments (1563) and it looks beautiful. It's a really nice blue-green and so complimentary to the entire room. It really makes not only the piano pop and really look stunning but the lighting even comes alive (which is hard to see in these photos).



It was a cloudy, dreary day so these photos are a bit dark. You'll see more photos soon. Now we're working on new window treatments, and we're also working on getting a console and art on the far wall (not pictured).


And you may remember a few months back, I did a preview of a combined Living Room/Play Room. The rug is in and we're waiting on the sofa and armchair to get delivered. The rug looks fantastic! While we're waiting on furniture to arrive, this bay window that you see below got an update.



Different angle, but you get the idea. I recommended a relaxed roman shade for the bay window and it came out really well. This window faces the front of the house so they wanted these are fully functional shades that they can move up and down. 

Well I hope to keep the updates coming more frequently. Thanks for reading!